TRAIL 2011 Ariel Centre Trail 2011 Ariel Centre
T.R.A.I.L. is an Artists led organisation exploring the themes of recycling and the environment through an annual gallery exhibition and sculpture trail (with sculptures made from materials destined for landfill sites )in the popular coastal region of Teignbridge and Dawlish in South Devon. Followed up by some of the sculptures being exhibited at venues in Torbay and Totnes. Artists from many areas of the country participate in this ever growing popular event.
The sculpture trail and exhibition are a successful collaboration between T.R.A.I.L. artists, Teignmouth District Council, Teignmouth Regeneration and generously sponsored by South West Water, Arts and Business and further by local businesses.
make this a totally inclusive event in which everyone could participate.
TRAIL was 5 years old in 2009 and to celebrate, along with the established sculpture trail, launched a
new initiative, an exciting extravaganza of wearable art/sculpture inspired by TRAIL’s concern for the
environment and climate change.
The event took place to a packed house at The Carlton Theatre in Teignmouth and comprised a catwalk show and collaborative performance pieces.
Judges from the creative industries representing the visual arts, performance, and fashion acted as
adjudicators to award prices for the best catwalk costume and the best collaborative piece.
This years show is on the 13th & 14th November, if you are interested as an artist or model see the details on www.trail.org.uk
March 6th to 25th – open daily 10am to 5pm at TAAG Arts and Community Centre 4/5 Northumberland Place TEIGNMOUTH TQ14 8DD 01626 779251 Subject – Inspired by Science Work by Maureen Fayle, Rosie Harbottle, Helen Cooper, Liz Lockyear David Harrison, Jill Harrison Yusuf Kahn, Ann Lunn Lauren Ballard, Mike Nicholls Michelle Wilcox, Roger Smith
PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION In conjunction with current Art Exhibition Subject – Inspired by Science Not just a scientific subject but any print relating to Maths, Communication, Engineering, Galaxies Etc. - Imagine !! Deliver your pictures now Entry Fee £1 per unmounted A4 photo Colour or Black & White Judging will be during the Teignmouth Science Festival weekend March 11th to 13th Prize for best photograph Proceeds will be used to help keep the building open .
CALL FOR ARTISTS
Trail Recycled Art In Landscape www.trail.org.uk
Sculpture Trail and Gallery exhibition
Artist Brief 2011
1. Sculpture Trail
Following the very successful 6th TRAIL event last year we are again inviting artists to submit one or more proposals for a Site Specific Sculpture Trail along the South Devon Coast linking Shaldon, Teignmouth and Dawlish. This is an area of outstanding natural beauty as well as holiday resorts within Teignbridge District Council. The sculptures will be sited in flower beds which are cared for by the parks department. For more information on past events go to www.trail.org.uk No submission fee.
2. Gallery Exhibition
The exhibition will be at TAAG the new community and arts venue in Teignmouth; This has ample wall hanging, free standing space and blackout area for film or light sculpture. There are display boards, plinths and a glass fronted shelving unit but display cabinets will need to be supplied by artists for small pieces of work. There will be an exhibiting fee of £40 for the month long exhibition.
Proposals accepted from 29th February 2011
Artists will be contacted within three weeks of their proposal being received.
Sculpture in place by July 18th 2011
Sculpture Trail opens July 19th – September 3rd 2011
Hanging of gallery exhibition July 31st 2011 after 5pm
Gallery Exhibition open 1st August – September 2nd 2011
Gallery artwork to be removed Friday 2nd September after 5pm
2011 Design Brief and Conditions for sculpture trail and gallery exhibition
1. The sculptures and work in the exhibitions will need to address one or more of the following criteria
To be constructed from 70% recycled materials
To reflect concerns relating to recycling / landfill / water / waste / global warming and can include political or global issues.
To reflect the site by using or harnessing the natural elements.
2. The sites are exposed to the elements so the sculpture needs to be well constructed and weather proof. The sculptures will be inspected by the Health & Safety Officer from Teignbridge District Council. The sites are within flowerbeds but can be accessed by the public if they are determined. The sculpture should have no sharp edges, fall over or have pieces that can break off and cause damage. Artists must be prepared to make changes to comply with Health and Safety issues if necessary and work will be withdrawn if the Health & Safety officer is not satisfied.
3. The fixings for the sculpture will be ‘metposts’ (100x100 mm fence post fixings) knocked into the ground. The sculpture or plinth must be designed with legs which will fit into these fixings and be bolted or screwed for stability and security. The installation will be carried out by the artist. Any special requirements can be discussed with the organisers and a TDC officer if necessary.
4. The sculpture will be covered by Teignbridge District Council for Public Liability Insurance but not for material damage. This is the artist’s responsibility or risk. There is no compensation for damage through natural or man made means.
5. Conditions of exhibiting on sculpture trail. The artist or a representative must be available throughout the exhibition period in case repairs are necessary to the sculptures or for restocking in the exhibition venues. There is no submission fee for Sculpture trail. 10% commission on sales.
6. Conditions of exhibiting in the gallery.
The artist agrees to be available for 2 days to steward throughout the exhibition and pay an exhibiting fee of £40. 10% Commission taken on all sales. Public Liability insurance in place but art work needs to be insured by artist for damage or loss. Cheques should be made payable to Trail.
7. The committee’s decision on selection is final.
What to do
Submit 2 separate copies of proposal for outdoor sculpture on A4 paper with each sheet in plastic envelopes clipped together. Please put your name, contact details, and title on the first page and title on each subsequent page to avoid loss. The proposal should include:
Drawings or photographs of the sculpture/exhibition entry
Detail of the fixing
Size including height, width and depth
Brief description of inspiration for work, be as informative as possible
Include images of past work photographs/CD/website address.
Images/drawings/list of work to be exhibited in gallery.
Cheque for £40. Cheques should be made payable to Trail
All selected artists will be included on the TRAIL website www.trail.org.uk
Please send proposals to: TRAIL Liz Lockyear Woodland Cottage, Higher Brimley Rd, Teignmouth Devon TQ14 8LH email@example.com
View my website http://www.trail.org.uk/
March 6th to 25th – open daily 10am to 5pm at TAAG Arts and Community Centre 4/5 Northumberland Place TEIGNMOUTH TQ14 8DD 01626 779251 Subject – In...
March 6th to 25th – open daily 10am to 5pm at TAAG Arts and Community Centre 4/5 Northumberland Place TEIGNMOUTH TQ14 8DD 01626 779251 Subject – Inspi...